Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How do I fix this basement leak?

On Apr 28, 12:51*am, micky wrote:
On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 22:30:18 -0400, "CraigT"
wrote:

My walkout basement leaked a bunch of water from under the drywall right
next to my doorwall last week when we had a really hard rain storm. *I
thought it was another crack in the poured concrete walls, but to my

So you have that wood *below* your poured concrete walls?

The pictures are of where your feet would be walking from the basement
to the yard? * And the walls of the basement are poured concrete?
Yet there is wood at foot-level? * Is there concrete farther down?

What about all around the house? *AIUI, the concrete or cinder blocks
should be higher than the earth. * And no exterior wood should be
below ground level.

Do you have neighbors whose houses were built by the same builder?
(Or non-neighbors ) You should talk to them about their houses and
yours and what they've done, and what worked and who did it . .

Agree with the above, CL, Chomper, etc. This isn't right. Wood
should
not be below grade. We don't know what the
rest of the grading/design is, but I would start there and figure out
how
much wood is below grade and what it would take to rectify it. Since
this wood is kaput it's likely the rest is in trouble too. This was
probably
designed correctly, but then when the final grading was done, they
did not grade it correctly.

You could bandaid the current problem somehow, but it's not the right
solution and if you have other similar wood, it's going to be causing
problems before long. One other thing, this kind of condition is a
prime target for termites.