Posted to alt.home.repair
Chomper Chomper is offline

Default How do I fix this basement leak?

"CraigT" wrote in message
My walkout basement leaked a bunch of water from under the drywall right
next to my doorwall last week when we had a really hard rain storm. I
thought it was another crack in the poured concrete walls, but to my
surprise I found an area next to the doorwall where framing on the sides
of the doorwall extended down below grade. I guess what ever they had
covered this with (OSB or one by) has disintegrated in the 12 years since
the house was built and dirt had filled in the area between the studs.
When we had that exceptionally hard rain the water got wicked up over the
basement floor level.

Looks like I'm going to need to cover this with something fairly water
proof. I was thinking about maybe using a piece of one by wolmanized
that I back buttered with some foundation waterproofer tar then after I
install it cover it with blue-skin and more waterproofer. I really don't
know.

Here are some pictures.

http://i.imgur.com/Vg6hsQI.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/5cs2glG.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/I5cvHIt.jpg

Wow, I wonder how the grade/wall height passed inspection. Either the walls
were not poured high enough, or the grade is too high.

Here's an interesting discussion.
http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...ill-grade.html

Here's