Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Who renovates reel to reel tape decks in the UK these days?

In article ,
tony sayer wrote:
Sadly, what was once sort of acceptable as an amateur recording many
years ago doesn't stand up well today - when kids can produce a
perfectly reasonable 'hi-fi' sound on their bedroom computer.

I've still got some tapes of an old steam driven fairground organ
recorded in the open air and some other stuff from many years ago and
when replayed everyone who has heard them is impressed at just how good
it does sound unlike what people are becoming used to, i.e. low bit
rates, too much audio processing tiny small headphones and the
like!,.....

Oh I know 1/4" tape could give excellent results. Sadly, too many worried
about the cost of tape so used slow speeds - and 1/4 track. And didn't
have much of an idea about how to use a microphone - which in any case was
often poor in itself.

--
*Wrinkled was not one of the things I wanted to be when I grew up

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.