Posted to uk.d-i-y
chrisj.doran%[email protected] chrisj.doran%proemail.co.uk@gtempaccount.com is offline

Default OT Who renovates reel to reel tape decks in the UK these days?

On Saturday, 27 April 2013 08:50:57 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
I'm looking for either a working quarter track stereo hi fi deck or somone

to fix my old tandberg as I want to run through some tapes and see if they

have anything worth keeping on them.

any ideas? I've been searching, plentey of people in the US doing it at

high cost, but nobody here who looks reputable, ie is not just an unkown on

ebay.

Brian

--

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active

You could ask a local charity shop to contact you if they get offered one, which doubtless they would normally redirect to the tip. One charity shop, Red Cross IIRC, is actively requesting electronic stuff. Or some council tips themselves set saleable things aside. Explaining exactly what you want may be the difficult bit.

I have some tapes myself which just may contain recordings of my late parents/grandparents that I'd like to check out one day.

Somewhere in the loft I have a magnetic disk recorder (dictaphone), and some disks of correspondence between a grocery distributor and local shops that I must play with sometime.

Chris