Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Who renovates reel to reel tape decks in the UK these days?

In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 08:50:57 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

I'm looking for either a working quarter track stereo hi fi deck

Well I have a Teac in the loft but whether it is working or not I don't
know.

... or someone to fix my old tandberg ...

Giving us a clue as to what is wrong with it might help.

... as I want to run through some tapes and see if they have anything
worth keeping on them.

That's why I still have my Teac, one day I'll get the tuit. Difference
is I know I have stuff I want to keep.

I have a working 1/4tk machine. And half track too. Speeds from 1 7/8 ths
to 15 ips.

Last time I did some transfers to CD as a favour, I was told the results
were very poor. Whereas it was the original tapes which were very poor -
the transfer was excellent. ;-)

Sadly, what was once sort of acceptable as an amateur recording many
years ago doesn't stand up well today - when kids can produce a perfectly
reasonable 'hi-fi' sound on their bedroom computer.

--
*I don't have a license to kill, but I do have a learner's permit.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.