nestork nestork is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
BTW, do you really run your light bulbs 8 hours a day, seven days a year (sic) week? Look at all that power *YOU'RE* wasting!
That happens a lot more often that you might think, krw. In my case, I have the hallway lights in my building on 24 hours per day. That's a total of 21 light bulbs going 24/7. If I were to shut them off at night, then tenants would have to carry flashlights to find their apartment doors.

Also, in the winter here in Winnipeg, by the time you leave for work at 8:30 in the morning, the Sun is just starting to rise, and when you quit work at 4:30 in the afternoon, the Sun is setting. So, ALL of the time you're at home, the lights are on.

Winnipeg, Canada - Sunrise, sunset, dawn and dusk times for the whole year - Gaisma

That might seem like 8 hours of "daylight", but if you allow 1/2 hour for dawn and another 1/2 hour for dusk, you're down to 7 hours of BROAD "daylight" per day. And, your house lights are going to be on during dawn and dusk on Saturdays and Sundays cuz there's not enough light to see well by during those times.

So, that's 640,000 people in Winnipeg, or 200,000 homes (say) with their lights on at least 8 hours per day.

Last edited by nestork : April 27th 13 at 01:56 AM