Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Finally an alternative to incandescents?

On Apr 26, 3:42*pm, "Pete C." wrote:
wrote:

IFF you believe the absurd claims of 30K Hrs.

Every other LED I've use over the last 40 years or so has lasted a whole
lot longer than 30,000 hours. 30k is a conservative estimate for
warranty purposes, most will last a lot longer. When was the last time
you had an LED burn out on some device where it is on 24x365?

Not sure that's the right comparison. The typical LED, used
for example as an indicator on a stereo or PC, is just that,
an LED and a very low power one at that. To make an LED
bulb, you have to have not only a much higher power LED, but
also a power supply that has to fit in the form factor of
a bulb. Combine all that with the need to try to keep
the cost down, how flimsy many of the CFLs and other
crap is that's built in China is, etc, and I'm a bit more
cautious.