Posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.d-i-y
alexd alexd is offline

Default Automatic line testing? Slightly long but a simple question at the end.

newshound (for it is he) wrote:

What I would like to do is to check the line status automatically, say
by loading a site every few minutes and logging the result (to simulate
normal internet use). If I could actually run a speed test that would be
nice, but not essential. I havn't done any real coding since the 1980s
(FORTRAN, BASIC, and Pascal) so I am not up to speed with modern tools.

I'm running dmt-ux once an hour from cron:

http://www.spida.net/projects/softwa.../index.en.html

I fully intend to stitch the frames together into an animation at some
point, but haven't got the appropriately shaped tuit.

Also, I wrote a script for Munin that fetches sync, attenuation, power and
margin data from my Thomson router; this is graphed by Munin every 5
minutes.

If you want to measure the actual throughput of the line, there are tools
like iperf than can be driven from a script/cron job/Scheduled Task, etc,
but you'd need another endpoint to run iperf to. I don't know how you would
go about scripting one of those Flash-based internet speed tests. Auto-It,
perhaps?

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
20:43:18 up 42 days, 11:39, 5 users, load average: 0.06, 0.16, 0.18