Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Adding neutral/ground bar to Siemens S2020B1100 panel

I have a Siemens 100-amp main panel (Catalog #: S2020B1100), and it
only
has one neutral/ground bar. The neutral/ground bar is on the right
side of
the panel.
I am trying to figure out if I can add another neutral/ground bar on
the
left side and, if so, how to do that.
The information about Siemens service panels is located at:
http://www.hqs.sbt.siemens.com/gip/g...ets/US/SIILV/S....
This panel is a Siemens "ES" Series Load Center, and it has 20
circuits.
On page 3 of the above online guide it says, "Single sided neutral on
24
circuits and below". So that explains why the panel that I have only
has
one neutral bar installed.
My question again is, can I add another neutral/ground bar on the left
side and, if so, how do I do that? Thanks.
*Drill and tap two 8/32 holes. Mount the ground bar. Run a number 8
or 6
wire from the new ground bar to the existing ground/neutral bar.- Hide
quoted text -

But what he originally asked for was adding a second
"ground/neutral bar" on the other side of the panel. You can add a
ground bar and I don't think he needs to drill any holes, as Siemens
has one for the panel, so it should already have compatible holes.
But I think that's only code compliant as an additional ground bar,
meaning you can't use it for neutrals..... Is that correct? If
he moves some ground wires from the existing neutral/ground
bus to the new bar though he would free up locations for more neutral
wires.

Also, can't you put more than one ground wire under a screw
in at least some panels? That alone might solve the problem?

If the bar is threaded into the panel, it would suffice as a ground bar
only. If as John said, you run a #6 or 8 from it to the neutral bar,
it'll work for both.

Thanks. I think that is going to be the plan -- to add a ground bar and,
as John said, run a #6 or 8 from it to the neutral bar so it will work as
a ground and a neutral bar.

And, as Trader4 siad, "the product guide has a ECGB14, which is a ground
bar that can be installed in that panel", so we can use that since it is
made for that panel and it is made to be threaded into the panel.

You can put two grounds under one screw is some panels as well.

That's good to know. I did see that the electrician who put the panel in
did put two grounds under one screw is a couple of cases for the circuits
that he installed; but only one neutral wire (by itself) under any screw.

*If you read the label on the Siemens panel, it should tell you how many
ground wires you can get under one screw. Sometimes it is more than two.
Neutrals are one per screw.