Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] hrhofmann@sbcglobal.net is offline

Default doorbell - is LED avail

On Apr 24, 8:37*pm, wrote:
On Thu, 25 Apr 2013 00:35:46 +0000 (UTC), gregz

On Tue, 23 Apr 2013 16:35:10 -0500, "ps56k"
wrote:

Our doorbell is the standard one with the small rectangular "illuminated"
button,
that is screwed to the door frame.
Every so often, usually just prior to Halloween
I go out and replace the button - as the tiny bulb has burned out.

Wonder if there are any LED style replacements ?
I had seen some comments on an electronics forum
about how you might contruct one -
but was curious if any retail versions existed ?

If they dont sell them, find one where you can access the bulb. *Wiring
a LED would be simple. *Your doorbells are usually running off a 24v AC
transformer. *So, you'd need a diode to convert to DC, then a suitable
resistor (someone on one of the electronics newsgroups could help with
selecting the right size), and of course the LED itself (probably
white). *3 parts, and a little solder, and you'll have a LED lighted
doorbell.

To wire it, one power lead goes to the diode, then to the resistor, and
to the LED. *The other lead on the LED goes right to the power wire.
Polarity of the LED and diode are important. *There are likely lots of
simple circuits for them on the web. *Or buy it at Radio Shack and there
will be a wiring diagram on the package.

It's nice to include a diode, which limits current in one direction, and
also stops reverse current, but it will work without diode. Done it many
times.

Greg

I didn't know that. *I thought it was needed on AC power.
Now that you mention it, I worked on a set of xmas LED lights and never
saw a diode either.- Hide quoted text -

They put a diode and/or a resistor in a little lump somewhere in the
power cord or in the string of lites itself.