Posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.d-i-y
Graham J[_2_] Graham J[_2_] is offline

Default Automatic line testing? Slightly long but a simple question atthe end.

newshound wrote:
[snip]

Google for RouterStats. Buy or borrow a router that will work with it.
You can then log sync speed and SNR margin.

Every ISP I have dealt with, and every router I have used, has suffered
at times from a problem that results in almost negligible download
speed. At these times the routers report the same sync speed, SNR
margin, and loop loss as they normally show when working at full
performance.

Pinging a website such as www.bbc.co.uk results in a groups of a few
replies interspersed with a dozen or more failures.

If the router is configured to respond to pings and the ISP provides a
static IP address, pinging the router from elsewhere on the internet
shows the same intermittent replies.

I use a script running on an old PC to monitor a couple of dozen client
routers. Generally these routers reply to ping during the working day,
but sometimes several of them (not necessarily geographically
associated) will fail to respond for an hour or more during the midnight
to 6am period. I imagine this is because BT are working on their network.

Sometimes, after a significant break in connectivity overnight, a router
will exhibit the intermittent ping response; and the user will report
inability to get most websites.

Rebooting the router always restores normal performance.

Plusnet should be able to show you a log of all the disconnections. If
there are more disconnections than one or two a week (excluding
extenuating curcumstances such as nearby lightning) then Plusnet should
accept that there is a reliability problem, and get Openreach out to
investigate.

--
Graham J