Posted to rec.woodworking
Artemus[_4_] Artemus[_4_] is offline

Default Bad idea?

"Greg Guarino" wrote in message
The latest in my continuing series of Very Basic Questions. "What Is Wood?" should
be coming along soon.

I put a first coat of finish on my (second pair of) face frames last night; MinWax
Satin Poly, cut about 40% with mineral spirits. I put four coats of the same on the
first two face frames and I like the results.

Up to now I've been cutting off another piece of tee-shirt for each coat, hanging
the used cloth over the edge of a flower pot in the yard until it's safe to
discard. The shirt is almost used up so on a whim I put the piece I was using in
the (3/4 full) can of poly and put the top on. Any reason I can't use that piece of
cloth again tonight? Was this a bad idea in some other way, like that the can of
finish is now ruined? Should I perhaps have stored the cloth in a ziploc bag
instead?

What Leon said. Plus, if you use the Ziploc, squeeze as much air out
as possible before sealing.
What I do is squeeze as much poly out of the cloth as I can and then
pull the disposable glove off my hand while holding the cloth inside.
Squeeze out the air and tie a knot in the cuff. The cloth has remained
perfectly usable for 48hrs (I haven't tried longer) in 60-70F temps.
Art