Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk Leon Fisk is offline

Default Light box for object photography

On 24 Apr 2013 02:13:31 GMT
"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

snip
Note that I scan to TIFF format, not JPEG, which is a lossy
format, and when the image is uncompressed, there is a loss of fine
detail. Once I have what I want from the negative or slide, I re-save
it as high quality setting JPEG for convenience of others, but I save
the TIFF image for future needs.

You may want to checkout JP2 format (aka JPEG2000).
Could save you some space. It can be setup to save as loss-less. There
are libraries/apps available for Unix/Linux now. It sucks hard on the
processor though...

If you dig into the raw files (storing the un-retouched scans) at:

http://www.archive.org/

for their old books for instance you will find they are using JP2
for many of them. I haven't tried to figure out what setting they are
using though (ie how much loss, if any).

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b