Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Internal door - jammed shut - handle not operating latch

On 24/04/2013 22:10, Cash wrote:
paulfoel wrote:
Tried taking door handle off and turning with pliars etc but it just
seem to turn enough to open the latch.

What are my options? All I can see at the moment is kick the door
in....

1 - If there are no other unmentioned complications and all that's happened
is that the latch innards have collapsed:

2 - Take the doorstop off and lever the latch bolt back with a screwdriver
or suitable tool.

3 - If that fails. with the doorstop off, use a hacksaw blade and cut
through the latch bolt itself between the door and the frame.

4 - If the doorstops are machined into the frame and cannot be removed, then
file off the end peening of the hinge pins and knock the pins out with a
drift.

5 - Or, you could simply use a sharp wood chisel and a hammer (or mallet for
the purists) and cut the stop away from around the latch bolt and cut it off
as 3 above.

I've only come across one where the doorstop was machined into the frame
& the Bosch PMF180 multi tool worked a treat. Very thin kerf, little
bit of filler afterwards, job done.