Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Internal door - jammed shut - handle not operating latch

On 24/04/2013 16:43, paulfoel wrote:
Tried taking door handle off and turning with pliars etc but it just
seem to turn enough to open the latch.

What are my options? All I can see at the moment is kick the door
in....

This is a very common problem, I carry 2 of each length & finish of
mortice latch in the van. Probably do up to a dozen a year.

I've never managed to get one to retract via the handle aperture.

Prise the door jamb strip off, they are usually nailed on. It's going
to do a bit of paint damage.

Then get a pry bar into the gap between door & jamb, force it open as
much as possible, which won't be much, then use a hacksaw blade to force
the latch back.