Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Sketchup, arrrgggg

Leon wrote:

I know I could learn Sketchup, just that I realize it would take some
time and I'm not yet willing to allocated the time I fear it would
take.

Understood but I believe that the program is a real time saver when it
comes to designing and drawing compared to what I had been using. I
did keep AutoCAD available while learning Sketchup but the basics
were so simple compared to AutoCAD that I was drawn more towards
Sketchup.

I know nothing of other CAD programs but IMO anyone in the
construction/design/remodeling field is losing money if they don't use it.
I'm not involved in those occupations but the ability to have sets of models
that can be easily modified to fit specific circumstances seems invaluable.

For example, a cabinet maker could have assorted parts which can be
duplicated and/or sized as needed ...

1. a basic box

2. various interior parts - shelves, drawers, pullouts, whatever

3. frame and panel doors with various edge treatments

And with a few clicks any could have any type of surface/texture. Want to
see what the doors would look like with walnut frames and cherry panels?
Easy. Switch the counter tops to granite? Here's what it looks like.
Insert a wood chopping block? OK. (materials/textures are downloadable from
the net...a nice one of woods is at http://www.sawdustroad.com/sketchup

It's a moneymaker.

It is an amazing program "as is". Run through rendering software it is
nothing short of incredible! Go to Google, type in "sketchup renderings",
click images and be astounded.

--

dadiOH