Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Stanley Schaefer Stanley Schaefer is offline

Default Using an angle grinder with speed control

On Apr 23, 10:26*am, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
My angle grinder has a brushed motor, meaning that it can be slowed down
with an SCR-type speed control (e.g., HF's "Router speed control":http://www.harborfreight.com/router-...ol-43060.html). *I know
that it won't have as much power when slowed down & that won't be a problem.

The question is: is it going to be harder to avoid burning it out? *It
can be burned out at full speed, too, and I know how to avoid that. *Is
it different at slow speed?

Thanks,
Bob

They do have pneumatic versions, should you have shop air. These tend
to be smaller and lighter for the same work capacity and readily
throttled. They had air routers at the motor home plant for doing
cutouts that had throttles on them, seemed to have plenty of power.
Pneumatics don't have the heat buildup problems that electric motors
do, just need good lubrication.

Stan