Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Danniken[_7_] Jon Danniken[_7_] is offline

Default Using an angle grinder with speed control

On 04/23/2013 06:46 PM, wrote:

Not sure why you are looking to reduce speed.
In my case I wanted to use Scotchbrite pads for surface prep and these
burned at the full 11,000rpm.
In the end I got a variable speed Makita 5" grinder which works just
fine.
Is that an option for you?

I used a variac recently on my 4.5" grinder to slow it down enough to
use a 9" abrasive wheel. This was done to give me access to the inside
of a welded C channel which was too deep to use with 4.5" wheels.

It took a couple of goes to dial in the right voltage to give me the
proper speed under load, but for my limited need it worked fine.

I don't think my grinder liked the additional mass of the 9" wheel,
though, but for a quick grind it worked fine.

Jon