Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Sketchup, arrrgggg

On 4/24/2013 3:29 AM, wrote:
On Tue, 23 Apr 2013 09:21:34 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
Sketchup should be renamed, Sketching with Components. ;~)
Think of they way you build things in the shop, draw the same way.

Does that mean, build something in an exploded view and then assemble
it to have a finished project on paper?

You can do that however you need to really be good at visualizing what
the end product is going to be. The method I and probably most people
use is to start drawing a piece/component and when it is basically the
correct size convert it into a component "before" starting your next
part. Draw the next part in the location that it will fit. If you do not
make the first part into a component the parts for the next part will
"stick to it" This becomes a problem should you decide to move a group
of lines.

I have to admit, I haven't started using Sketchup yet. Not because I'm
afraid of it, (maybe a litte) just that I'm comfortable with the
program I currently use.

Valid point! I have been using CAD programs since 1986. I had
ultimately started using AutoCAD LT about 15 years ago and could not
imagine using anything less. Then I tried Sketchup about 8 years ago,
hated it and removed it from my computer. Tried again about a year
later with the same results. Tried it again about 4~5 years ago and
have been using it ever since. I cant tell you the last time I have
opened AutoCAD.

I know I could learn Sketchup, just that I realize it would take some
time and I'm not yet willing to allocated the time I fear it would
take.

Understood but I believe that the program is a real time saver when it
comes to designing and drawing compared to what I had been using. I did
keep AutoCAD available while learning Sketchup but the basics were so
simple compared to AutoCAD that I was drawn more towards Sketchup.

Unfortunately, I'm big on procrastination. Same story as everything
else in my life.

It is FREE, Just do it! ;~)