Posted to rec.woodworking
Dan Coby Dan Coby is offline

Default Sketchup, arrrgggg

On 4/22/2013 4:24 PM, dadiOH wrote:
I've had the program for a number of years, never took the time to actually
learn to use it. Due primarily to various posts here, I've been spending
some time with it.

They say it is "intuitive"; IMO, some of it is and some of it isn't. Let me
give an example...

Suppose I draw a simple table: four legs, four aprons and a top. Each of
those items is an "entity". I decide that I want my table 1" wider which
means I need to make the top wider and both end aprons longer I can't scale
the aprons, deforms the legs. I could move the legs, then scale the aprons
and move the legs back. Not too bad on this but on more complex things it
could be a PITA.

Is there some simple, fast way to do it.

Here are a couple of links to the FineWoodworking Sketchup blogs on this
topic:

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/...ifying-a-model

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/...sizing-a-model

The blogs have quite a few useful tips. The blogs are arranged from the most
recent to older. It is probably best to start with the oldest and work forward.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/blog/...k-build/page/1

Dan