Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cutting Kitchen Decor End Panels

On 22/04/2013 13:26, CadmannUK wrote:
'Roger Mills[_2_ Wrote:

Cut about 3mm oversize with a circular saw or jigsaw, and finish off
with a router - using a parallel cutter, and clamping a straight strip
of wood an appropriate distance in from the edge, to use as a guide.

Thanks Harry, Roger,

I think that these decor end panels are actually MDF with a melamine
facing surface.

I was thinking of doing just the things you said, cutting close and
finishing off with the belt sander.

Roger, if I used the router wouldn't it still chip the melamine finished
surface?

Not if you use a sharp cutter, and move the router in the correct direction.

I am also going to have to cut down a couple of doors. These are not
paneled, but flat melamine finished like the decors ends, but one need
to be cut to a triangle shape to fit under the stair slope. If I cut and
sand, what is the best way to seal and finish the cut edge as you will
see it when the top cupboard door is opened. (its above the double
oven).

Are these light-weight doors, made out of a couple of thin sheets with a
honeycomb filling? If so, the strips of wood down the sides and top and
bottom are fairly thin, and don't allow for much trimming. If you trim a
door beyond the edge strips (like cutting a corner off), you'll expose
the honeycomb, and you'll need to remove some of it and glue in a
suitable strip of wood.
--
Cheers,
Roger