Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Sketchup, arrrgggg

On 4/23/2013 1:24 PM, dpb wrote:
On 4/22/2013 11:36 PM, Leon wrote:

Actually evert part of the project should be made into a component.

I've actually played w/ Sketchup very little owing to the one time I
tried it was so frustrating I just gave it up...

I've since seen this in several earlier threads and have realized that
was at least part of the problem...so, w/ that background as utter
novice I'll ask...

So one should then just make either a generic rectangle (or one also w/
thickness for 3D) and call it a "board" and then just take instances of
it and assign a length/width/thickness then join these together to build
something? Does that work?

You can do that however a generic rectangle/3D board is much easier to
draw than to hunt up and import from your group of saved components.
Add to that it would be easier to draw than to import and edit.

That said if your component is complex it would make a lot of sense to
save the component and import to use and or to edit.

Or, slightly more complex, say it's a cabinet door...you have a rail and
a style general object that you just set length/width on as well as
adjust the tenon size/thickness (say) and then they can fit together
just as if had one of each in hand?

Yes, if you are describing what I mentioned above. If you do not have
to redraw a complex object that saves time and effort. Importing and
editing a saved complex component is much faster that redrawing.

If that (or a reasonable facsimile thereof) works, then maybe I try
again sometime...meanwhile I just layout dimensions on a cutlist and go
to the shop (_much_ faster ).

The beauty to Sketchup is that you can install a plugin, CutList 4.X,
and simply high lite all of your components run the plug in and it will
enter all of that data fore you. This is a common practice for me
however I take the data that CutList 4.x creates and import again
directly in to "CutList Plus" for a more adjustable result.