Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Sketchup, arrrgggg

On 4/22/2013 11:36 PM, Leon wrote:

Actually evert part of the project should be made into a component.

I've actually played w/ Sketchup very little owing to the one time I
tried it was so frustrating I just gave it up...

I've since seen this in several earlier threads and have realized that
was at least part of the problem...so, w/ that background as utter
novice I'll ask...

So one should then just make either a generic rectangle (or one also w/
thickness for 3D) and call it a "board" and then just take instances of
it and assign a length/width/thickness then join these together to build
something? Does that work?

Or, slightly more complex, say it's a cabinet door...you have a rail and
a style general object that you just set length/width on as well as
adjust the tenon size/thickness (say) and then they can fit together
just as if had one of each in hand?

If that (or a reasonable facsimile thereof) works, then maybe I try
again sometime...meanwhile I just layout dimensions on a cutlist and go
to the shop (_much_ faster ).