Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default Deadening stainless steel sink noise.

On 04/22/2013 07:50 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
On 04/21/2013 01:44 PM, Helpful wrote:
replying to Jack, Helpful wrote:
jackjohansson wrote:

I just got a nice big stainless steel sink for our kitchen. I love it,
except it is loud and "tinny" when you drop stuff in it. I am
thinking of pulling it out, and painting the entire underside with that
thick.. black coating that is available for coating the back of pickup
trucks. It is thick, and I think it would help deaden the sound.
It is also made to stick to the truck in all weather conditions, so I
imagine it will stick to the sink even though expansion and
contraction/hot cold.
The coated side will be inside the cabinet, and never seen, so how it
looks is not an issue. Because of sink placement, other traditional
insulation is not really an option, so I need something that you
"paint" on, and sticks to the metal.
I considered auto undercoating, but think this stuff goes on just as
thick or thicker, and is made to be exposed so I think it would leave a
better finish, even though it is unseen.
Any thoughts? Anything better out there that I should consider?.

I was trying to accomplish same thing with new SS sink. Came across an
excellent low cost remedy after much searching. GT MAT Sound Control @
gtsoundcontrol.com. $13-$16 depending on thickness, enough for double bowl
sink and free shipping. This is a strong adhesive sound dampening material
for automotive applications. Top rated reviews by users. Better than
adhesive material used by sink MFG's. Hope this info. is useful.

yep, any automotive sound control product will work and that is likely
similar to what is used by sink mfgrs... Dynamat, Lizard Skin, whatever
is available locally for you will work. Even plain old spray
undercoating applied to the underside of the sink will work although it
is messy and smelly until it sets up.

Along the same lines using some cheap (lowest R-value, so it's thinner
and not compressed as much when shoved under the counter) fiberglass
insulation to wrap the tub of a dishwasher does wonders to control sound.
Did that for a friend of mine when he installed a used dishwasher, it
acts like an expensive "super quiet" dishwasher but only added $13 (plus
a little bit of foil duct tape that I used) to the cost of the installation.

nate

It may *sound* like an expensive "super quiet" dishwasher but I'm not so
sure it *acts* like one.

There's more to a high quality dishwasher than just additional insulation.

Well, it's GE so... yeah probably not high quality.

Unlike the last one though it's got three spray arms and the heating
element gets blazin' hot so self dry, sani-cycle etc. work great. It
actually works pretty well.

If I were to find any fault with it it would be that the tub isn't
perfectly square so you can see the lip around the edge "bulging" and
also the racks aren't made of stainless so when the coating peels
they'll rust. Other than that it's pretty acceptable.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel