Posted to uk.rec.driving,alt.electronics
Major Scott Major Scott is offline

Default LED car lights flicker - no need!

On Tue, 23 Apr 2013 09:56:27 +0100, wrote:

On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 19:44:38 +0100
"Major Scott" wrote:
Surely they can design LED lights on cars to have a higher frequency PWM=
? Even =A3100K cars flicker dramatically, especially when filmed. It m=
akes them look really cheap. All it would take is a higher frequency PW=
M, or a smoothing capacitor?

They flicker for a reason. If they smoothed the current they might just as
well use DC direct from the battery.

No, provide them with a lower DC voltage to make them dimmer. Say 12V for brake and 9V for tail.

I don't know the technical reasons why but
apparently using the equivalent DC voltage required to get the same brightness
as you can get by strobing them would burn them out. I'm sure some electronics
guru on here can explain more. But it does lead to interesting effects on
video as you say )

So you're saying that on brake they are also strobed? I have never noticed a brake strobing. It's the tails that do it.

--
If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?