Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default conical compression spring

"David Billington" wrote in message
On 23/04/13 14:18, Jim Wilkins wrote:

My 10" South Bend has enough back-gear torque to wind 1/8" SS TIG
rod
into conical spiral wood stove handles, on a steel mandrel threaded
4
TPI with a half-round bit.

I was wondering about doing that recently for a similar application
but when I looked my local farm supply had chipping hammers with
coil spring handles for £1.70 UKP (about $2.60) so just bought one
and cut the head off and welded it where required.

The stainless wire door handle doesn't feel hot in a location where
previous wood handles slowly carbonized. jsw