Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington David Billington is offline

Default conical compression spring

On 23/04/13 14:18, Jim Wilkins wrote:
wrote in message
-I made a compression spring at the beginning of the month. In fact I
-made several before I got it right. There are some good web sites
-with information. So if you can't find one already made, you can
make
-one yourself...
-Dan

My 10" South Bend has enough back-gear torque to wind 1/8" SS TIG rod
into conical spiral wood stove handles, on a steel mandrel threaded 4
TPI with a half-round bit.

I was wondering about doing that recently for a similar application but
when I looked my local farm supply had chipping hammers with coil spring
handles for £1.70 UKP (about $2.60) so just bought one and cut the head
off and welded it where required.

There is a traditional clock part called a "fusee" which is similar to
the mandrel for winding a conical spring:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._With_Cord.png
jsw