Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Light box for object photography

On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 12:36:52 -0500, Richard
wrote:

On 4/22/2013 11:53 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 08:25:25 -0500,
wrote:

On 4/22/2013 8:14 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 07:10:35 -0500,
wrote:

On 4/22/2013 6:32 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
As the son of a (retired) photography instructor, I must stand with Richard
on this point.
.
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.
.
wrote in message
On 4/22/2013 1:34 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

True indeed. Low f-stop and slow shutter for a minimum depth of field.

I think you have that backerds, hoss.

Higher F numbers mean smaller aperture diameter.
Depth of field increases with f-number

Reducing _aperture_ increases depth of field.

An shutter speed is not involved (directly, anyway)

Yeahbut...

The common expression "Stop Down" really does mean to
reduce aperture size (although it also means a higher
F-stop number)...

Thinking about it since, I'm sure that's what Gunner meant.

Correct. Historically...the bigger the number meant the smaller the
hole. 1 is on the top....64 is on the bottom...when you "stopped
down"...you were going farther down the list..and making the hole
smaller...letting in less light...

Im just an old fart.

Gunner

You would have not enjoyed the lecture from my Dad...

Words have meaning - jargon doesn't!

But it took him a LOT longer (and many more words) to say it.

Indeed. But in my world...it wasnt jargon..it was technical. Maybe it
was regional..but..it was in all the magazines/ads

When you stopped down..you made the iris smaller.

Shrug

Gunner

But...

You stop down _TO F(?)_

whatever smaller apature diameter/higher number you needed

Like I said, Dad was always fussy about that.

So am I.

Shrug