Posted to rec.autos.misc,alt.home.repair

Default radiator caps, cooling system pressure

On 4/22/2013 8:51 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 19:40:05 -0400, "David L. Martel"
wrote:

Ashton,

No, the car is not overheating. It's never overheated. What happened
is that I installed an AC unit in this 60 Dodge. That has made it run
about 10 degrees hotter then it used to, mainly from just having the
condenser there in front of the radiator. So I was thinking about
whether it would be a good idea to go to a 13 pound cap instead of the
7 pound one on it.

I don't follow this. Your radiator is running about 10 deg. F (?) hotter
with the AC, so what? Why is that a problem? You aren't anywhere near the
boiling point of your coolant, are you? Assuming you have a 50:50 mixture
and 7 psi your boiling point is about 255 deg. Changing to a 13 psi cap
would improve things by raising the boiling point to about 270 deg.
Unless you are getting close to 250 I don't understand why you want to do
this. Be sure to check my math. These figures are quick guesstimates.
Sorry, sounds like a waste of money. Keep an eye on the temp gauge this
Summer though till you're sure.

Dave M.

13 psi on a '60 mopar pretty well guarantees you will have some
expensive cooling system repairs in your future. If you are worried,
which you should not be, put on an electric fan in front of the
rad/condensor.

My 1965 Dodge Dart used a 13psi radiator cap on the good old Slant Six
radiator, at least that's what the part look up states. o_O

TDD