Posted to alt.home.repair
bob haller bob haller is offline

Default Fence Posts - Cement or No Cement??

On Apr 22, 1:52*pm, Dan Espen wrote:
"Bob F" writes:
R MICHELLE H. wrote:
I see that some people debate over whether fence posts should be
cemented into the ground or not. Some people say yes, you need cement
to keep the fence sturdy, other people say putting the posts 2 feet
down in soil or even crushed rock is perfectly fine.

Would it be okay to install 50 feet ( length ) of 4 to 5 foot high
chainlink fence, and NOT have the posts cemented in??

We have a small backyard, only about 50 feet wide between houses. We
have a small wooded area behind our house, and no backyard fence. Last
year we tried to have a vegetable garden, but either deer, or raccoons
or something ate all our vegetable plants!!! They loved eating the
tomato and pumpkin plants. They ate everything right down to the
stalk!!!!!

It will take a lot more than a 5 foot fence to keep deer or racoons out.. My
father watched deer jump a fence much higher than than (8 feet?). ANd racoons
can climb just fine.

I believe deer can go even higher.
But my experience says they won't.

http://mysite.verizon.net/despen/fence/

I've had that 6 foot fence up since 2009 and so far, not one deer has
come in the yard.

However, deer can see right through chain link.
I think it's important for the view to be blocked.
Deer aren't likely to jump something when they can't see where they are
going to land.

I don't think *5 feet of chain link will work and I don't think
you'd be able to stretch the link onto the fence if you don't use
cement. *You could try cementing only the end posts but if I was
doing chain link, I'd use cement on all the posts.

This last year, about 7 sections of my fence were destroyed by Sandy.
After the trees were removed, we had deer tracks in the yard the next
day. *I just finished repairs so the deer will have to eat somewhere
else.

Oh, yeah, raccoons. *Nothing short of land mines or electricity will
keep them out. *I don't grow vegetables.

--
Dan Espen

have a complete fence and get a dog, it will police the area and
discourage visitors.....

only the corner post of my 6 foot chain link fence were concreted in
over 15 years ago, no problems.

although the gate posts were also concreted in