Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

Default Power Supply tip for PC desktop owners!

On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 09:39:58 +0000 (UTC),
(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

In article ,
MM writes:
I have an older (around 2006) Acer with an MSI mobo. PC went on the
blink. Symptom: PC started, then immediately stopped (within a second
or two). This problem started intermittently over the previous few
months, then on Friday it just would not start.

Cause: Power supply. I fitted a new one and the PC has worked ever
since.

My desktop system is 2007, so not much newer.
That started crashing periodically, with the frequency slowly
increasing. I reseated everything socketed, but it didn't help.
I hadn't changed any of the software over this period.
Eventually I changed the PSU a couple of months ago, and no
problems since (touch wood;-)

There's nothing visibly faulty in the old PSU - no swollen or
leaking caps for example. Given the new PSU was well under £20
from CPC, I can't be bothered to try diagnosing the old one.

Indeed so. The only problem is disposal of the old unit, because
you're not supposed to chuck it in the black bin bag, so I'll have to
make a special detour next time I go to Spalding in order to drop it
off at the council tip.

MM