Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Power Supply tip for PC desktop owners!

On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 11:40:59 +0100, RayL12 wrote:

On 22/04/2013 10:54 AM, Bob Eager wrote:
On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 09:39:58 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In ,
writes:
I have an older (around 2006) Acer with an MSI mobo. PC went on the
blink. Symptom: PC started, then immediately stopped (within a second
or two). This problem started intermittently over the previous few
months, then on Friday it just would not start.

Cause: Power supply. I fitted a new one and the PC has worked ever
since.

My desktop system is 2007, so not much newer.
That started crashing periodically, with the frequency slowly
increasing. I reseated everything socketed, but it didn't help.
I hadn't changed any of the software over this period. Eventually I
changed the PSU a couple of months ago, and no problems since (touch
wood;-)

There's nothing visibly faulty in the old PSU - no swollen or leaking
caps for example. Given the new PSU was well under £20 from CPC, I
can't be bothered to try diagnosing the old one.

I think this is where the recently mentioned ESR meter comes in. I tend
to pay a bit more for PSUs these days - I go for the 80+ ones.

I will +1 Bob's suggestion.

I, being someone who loves a bargain, have, since the 80's, always
preferred a cheaper PSU on the grounds that, if the package is rated
high enough it will be just fine.

Over the years, some parts would fail, mostly hard drives but, that
would be the hard drive's fault, wouldn't it?

About a year back 2 new hard drives, in a 4 drives system, blinked
out. Totally functionless. My PC would shut down when switching from a
low res' window to a higher res' window.

I looked for info as to what could be causing the problem and many
would say, 'get a badged PSU; pay more for the quality' on the grounds
that the manufacturer's ratings were more likely to be nearer the truth.
So, I relented and did just that.

I have had no such problems since but, the thing the gives me more
confidence than ever before is, just how cold the PC casing is above the
PSU even when demanding 'simracing' graphics are in use. Oh, and a 6
year warranty came with it.

Perhaps I should have explained what I meant what I meant by 80+ - it
occurred to me afterwards that someone might think I meant the price!
These PSUs are claimed to be a bit more economical, and with the number
of machines I have running...

http://www.80plus.org

(it redirects, but don't worry about it).