Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard[_9_] Richard[_9_] is offline

Default Light box for object photography

On 4/21/2013 10:39 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sun, 21 Apr 2013 19:10:03 -0400, Joe
wrote:

In , Gunner Asch
wrote:

Anyone have any good suggestions for types of lightboxes for product
photography?

I do NOT have a hip slick and cool digital SLR, and even the external
strobe connections are a *******.

Id like to build a lightbox..but it needs to be big enough/rugged
enough.. to put in a dirty, oily part or piece.

Something for shooting photos for Ebay for example.

Ive seen how some Ebay companies like Reliable Tools do it..but I dont
have that kind of floor space (theirs is 50'x50' with huge movable
fill lights in towers on wheels.

So Im going to need something useable with at least 3 strobes and
operational via slave flash.

You don't need strobes, Gunner. Proper lighting is essential, and
setting your camera to work with the lights chosen is a must. A pair
of 200w (45w actual) 5000k daylighter CFLs go for $7ea on eBay
http://tinyurl.com/cd2pa7a

Or buy a kit with softboxes or umbrellas. Mine was about $40
delivered with umbrellas, light holders, 5000k CFLs, and stands.
I wish I'd bought the background and stands, too.
http://tinyurl.com/bpo9d2r

This is one HELL of a deal: http://tinyurl.com/d3d5suj

Anyone have any links etc etc for simple designs suitable for what we
do?

I think you are actually asking for a light *tent*: a tent made of some
translucent white material like nylon or dacron sail-cloth or frosted
mylar drafting film. One puts the object inside the trnt and set the
lights up to illuminate the outside of the tent, then snaps away.
Tents are particularly good for shiny objects.

White muslin can come in BIG sizes for fairly cheap, too.
http://tinyurl.com/c9fo6hs $32 includes bg& stands, delivered!

They are easy to make, but can also be bought.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Te...410/N/42945507
97

http://digital-photography-school.co...ensive-light-t
ent

Yes, indeedy.

--
Stain and poly are their own punishment.

Betcha a plug nickel it doesn't sell for that!