Posted to alt.home.repair
gregz gregz is offline

Default Thermometer repair?

"Stormin Mormon" wrote:
Where, in this post, does anyone suggest that?
.
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.
.
wrote in message
On Sat, 20 Apr 2013 17:35:33 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I've heard of super cooling, so all the mercury ends up in the bubble at
the
low temp end. Not sure I've tried this, but sounds good.
.

NEVER put a mercury thermometer in a microwave. The mercury attracts
the microwaves and super-heats. Or did you have your "combination"
oven in non-microwave mode???

I would agree. I'm never going to use mercury, and I don't think I have
one. I do remember lab oven/incubators with mercury thermometer sticking
out the top. I used to compare readings with various thermometers, but once
I verified, I put the mercury away.

I forgot my combo had a combo button. The heating element will preheat the
oven, and then cycle between microwave and heat, but never both at the same
time. My platter rotates in either mode. The tray is usually inserted over
the platter, and platter not really used, but I would have to reread
instructions for turbo oven mode and microwave.

I never turbo cooked anything in that oven, because it's slow compared to
my little turbo oven which includes radiant heat.

I use a grilling meat thermometer I bought at kmart for $12 on sale.
Digital with probe and stainless cable. I just have to subtract about 10
degree error.

Greg