Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Tek 545B O'scope Fuse and Power

On Sun, 21 Apr 2013 16:33:45 +1000, "Phil Allison"
wrote:

"Jeff Liebermann"
"Phil Allison"

Liquid hand wash ( soap free & pH balanced ) is probably OK too.

I have my doubts about anything that has pH Balanced on the label.

** Yawnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn................

Compared to your usual critical comments, I presume that's a
compliment. Thanks.

The
term is completely meaningless and is mostly a marketing buzzword.
What is the pH of the soap being balanced against? What benefit does
this alleged balancing act have for the user? Too many unanswered
questions.

** It broadly refers to it being non alkalai - ie SOAP FREE !!!!!!!!

It can mean anything that marketing wants to claim. pH balanced may
sound like a technical term, but it's not.

That is, it will not irritate the skin on ones hands like ordinary soaps do
and washing liquid is infamous for.

Yep. No residual lye.

Been using them for 20 years myself.

I mostly use a home made Boraxo clone on my hands. About 95% borax
laundry powder, and 5% soap flakes. I use either Ivory brand soap,
shredded on a kitchen grater, or home made lye based soap where I used
too my lye and ended up with a pH=11. After about 10 years, it's now
down to about 9.0. No skin damage or drying (degreasing) evident
after about 40 years of use.

By the numbers:
Soap pH
Dove 7.0
Lever 2000 9.0
Camay 9.5
Dial 9.5
Irish Spring 9.5
Ivory 9.5
Palmolive 10.0
Zest 10.0

Work very nicely at cleaning my electric shaver too.

I use a brush.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D