Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Tek 545B O'scope Fuse and Power

On Sun, 21 Apr 2013 14:31:42 +1000, "Phil Allison"
wrote:

Liquid hand wash ( soap free & pH balanced ) is probably OK too.

I have my doubts about anything that has pH Balanced on the label. The
term is completely meaningless and is mostly a marketing buzzword.
What is the pH of the soap being balanced against? What benefit does
this alleged balancing act have for the user? Too many unanswered
questions.
http://www.oprah.com/style/What-Does-pH-Balanced-Mean
The best example is pH balanced shampoo. What it does is suds only
over a very narrow range of pH. I don't recall the numbers, but it
specifically avoids the typically pH=5.5 of skin so that it does *NOT*
suds when first applied. Only after dilution with water, or a 2nd
application does the pH of the mix increase to roughly a neutral pH=7,
where it will produce suds. The obvious result is that users use
twice as much shampoo as they would with one that would suds at any pH
value. I suspect that hand and dishwashing soap may be similar, but I
haven't bothered to check.

Incidentally, the shampoo business gets extra credit for making the
bottle caps the same color as the shampoo, so that the user can't
easily see how much shampoo they are "measuring" into the cap. Also,
by increasing the surface tension, and designing the dispenser orifice
so that the first drop comes out as a huge blob of shampoo, which also
promoted un-necessary consumption.

As for cleaning a dirty TEK 545, I would use an air hose to evict the
dirt and spiders. Then some 409 and a tooth brush on the really grimy
spots. Leave the rest alone as I assume that all the electrolytics
are bad and that it will need disassembly to replace those anyway.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D