Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Thermometer repair?

On Sat, 20 Apr 2013 19:59:38 -0400, wrote:

On Sat, 20 Apr 2013 17:35:33 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I've heard of super cooling, so all the mercury ends up in the bubble at the
low temp end. Not sure I've tried this, but sounds good.
.
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.
.
"KenK" wrote in message
.. .
I've gotten good advice here in the past. Maybe someone can help me with
this problem

I have a rather expensive oven mercury thermometer. When using it in a
combination MW/convection oven with a rotating surface to test the oven
temperature, evidently the vibration caused the mercury to be widely
scattered thoughout the glass column. I read a site info on this problem
but none of their suggestions helped. Tapping it into my hand to move the
mecury, heating it, etc.

The only other idea I have is to somehow fasten it to an electric drill and
spin it so the centrifugal force forces the mercury to the bulb but can't
figure out how to securely mount it.

Any better ideas?

TIA

NEVER put a mercury thermometer in a microwave. The mercury attracts
the microwaves and super-heats. Or did you have your "combination"
oven in non-microwave mode???

"Attracts microwaves", now there's a concept! A new physics is
invented every day, on the Usenet.