Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Rotted overhead garage door.

On Sat, 20 Apr 2013 11:43:58 -0400, willshak
wrote:

Notat Home wrote:
I have an overhead garage door that is apparently made of a composite
skin over composite bracing. Although painted, it appears to soak up
rainwater and rot. I tried patching it with bondo, but that didn't
work. So now I'm looking for a replacement that is impervious to water.

The dealers around here have wood doors, and steel doors. They claim
the finish will protect them, but I'm not confident since wood rots and
steel corrodes.

Are there better options. I would think fiberglass or aluminum would be
better.

My attached garage has wooden doors that have lasted since 1984. I guess
the fact that I have an overhang over the doors has contributed to their
life.

Perhaps, though the degradation I've always noticed was on the bottom,
where they may have not been allowed to dry properly after rain.

Wooden doors insulate better than metal doors. Nothing ever freezes
inside the garage even when temps outside drop to single digits. If I
were to replace them for whatever reason they would be with wood again.
YMMV.

Wood? Insulate? Hardly. The R-value is about nil. A foam insulated
steel door would be *far* better. OTOH, I'm not convinced it matters
all that much because I don't believe a decent seal can be made and
maintained all around a door that size.