Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jamie Jamie is offline

Default Tube fuse stuck in the tube

micky wrote:
On Mon, 08 Apr 2013 20:15:01 -0400, Jamie
t wrote:

Chipperoni wrote:

Hi, I have a ceramic tube fuse that is stuck. The fuse blew last week,
and is set inside a tube that is just barely larger than the fuses
diameter. The fuse is recessed about a 1/2" back. It's not magnetic,
so a little magnet rod won't work. I've tried a little super glue on
the end of a nail head, but that didn't work either, the glue connection
failed. It's really stuck. This happened once before and we ended up
tearing apart the fuse trying to dislodge it and in turn tore up the
housing. Cost us $125 to replace that. I'd prefer not to go that route
again if it's avoidable. Any ideas???

Thanks!
Chip

get a 6/32 start tap (tapered) and proper drill bit, something tells
me it maybe a #29 but don't quote me on that one. Drill a hole in the
end cap of the fuse, and then try to tap it. Use the tap or a 6/32 screw
to gently pull it out.

I like this but don't think you need the tap. It's hard to tap sheet
metal anyhow. Drill the hole, use a sheet metal screw that at the
hole's diameter is still getting bigger, screw it in until it's hard
to screw, pull it all out with needle nose.

Well I always have a portable tap drill set with a battery operated
drill in my tool set, it isn't much (small) but it gets me by. I also
use it for screw and nut driver functions. Using the tap to extract an
end cap of a fuse would be handy for me since I would already have it..

Also, depending on how deep the fuse end would be, would determine if
a skinny sheet metal screw long enough to reach would be available.

Jamie