Posted to alt.home.repair
KenK KenK is offline

Default Thermometer repair?

" wrote in
:

On Apr 20, 2:06 pm, KenK wrote:
I've gotten good advice here in the past. Maybe someone can help me
with this problem

I have a rather expensive oven mercury thermometer. When using it in
a combination MW/convection oven with a rotating surface to test the
oven temperature, evidently the vibration caused the mercury to be
widely scattered thoughout the glass column.

Vibration? What vibration?

From the round rotating surface inside the MW oven.

If the microwave was active,

It isn't when the convection oven is in use.

I would think THAT would screw things up big time. Mercury
is a metal you know....

I read a site info on this problem
but none of their suggestions helped. Tapping it into my hand to move
the mecury, heating it, etc.

The only other idea I have is to somehow fasten it to an electric
drill a

nd
spin it so the centrifugal force forces the mercury to the bulb but
can't figure out how to securely mount it.

Any better ideas?

TIA

No, but the drill idea sounds like a very bad one. Unless you
want broken glass and mercury contamination all over the place

That's why I said 'securely'.