Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Tek 545B O'scope Fuse and Power

The last time I saw one of those was in the '80s and they were very old
then. The fuse is needed for any operation, and what good would a 'scope be
without the CRT powered, anyway?

For pursuing an interest in electronics, you would likely be far better off
with a 'scope of more recent vintage. You may find cheap/free equipment in
local Craigslist or Freecycle listings.

You may be in over your head suggested by the details you've posted. If you
chance applying power, be ready to interrupt the power quickly (switched
receptacle) and have another capable person present.

If this 'scope has been sitting around in a damp location, it may be too
dangerous to go thru the effort of applying power.
A proper ground wire should be attached to the case and a known good earth
ground before applying power. Depending on a used or old deteriorated power
cord could be a mistake.
If the 'scope is powered, it should not be left unattended and should
absolutely be disconnected from the AC power afterward.

Ask around to see if there may be any ham radio enthusiasts near you, who
might power up the 'scope for you. An elder person may be more familiar with
old, neglected tube equipment and more likely to have the correct type of
fuse holder cap.

The fuse holder cap is a bit obscure nowadays.. it has a tubular projection
with 2 wings? at the end.
With a fuse inserted into the cap, the fuse is then slid into the holder
until it is fully inserted, then the cap is turned clockwise about 90
degrees (maybe less but not more).
The fuse cap will then be latched into place.

Obviously, a lot of debris isn't good in an electrical appliance, but any
cleaning should be done cautiously and gently with no power applied and
better to do it outdoors (low pressure compressed air or duster can gas, for
example).

I'm not sure about that particular model, but check your literature to see
if there is an opening in a side panel where jumper bars go (banana plug
sockets 2 rows of 3 IIRC). There won't be any trace response without those
jumpers in the correct positions.
If applicable to this model, the said banana sockets are accessible with the
covers ON, nothing inside needs to be jumpered for normal operation.

--
Cheers,
WB

"Noel Keith" wrote in message
So, I recently got a Tektronics 545B oscilloscope. It's been sitting in a
basement for god knows how long, and I thought it would be cool to see if it
worked. well, it doesn't. It's missing it's fuse and fusecap, and it's power
cable. I had read in a couple of places that the fuse only affected the high
voltage stuff, like the CRT. I might be totally wrong about this, which is
why I'm asking you guys Well, with that in mind, I found a newer power
cable that seemed to fit the bill, so I tried using that. Nothing. I then
tried using a voltage regulator. Still nothing. Now, I'm not sure if it's
because of the mysterious missing fuse, or if something else has gone bad
inside, or if it was the power cable (which I doubt). My next guess was that
it was the missing fuse. Holy crap does this thing have a strange fuse. I've
looked all over for something with a similar rating and size, but with no
luck. I'm not as worried about the fusecap. I searched for a couple weeks
online, but I eventually came to the conclusion that the thing would
probably never work. Today though, I thought I'd give it a go again.
Back of the oscilloscope: http://i.imgur.com/uM64sfX.jpg
I opened it up to find TONS of gunk and dusk blanketing it's insides. I also
found a pdf of its manual (which has slightly more info about the missing
fuse). Now I think I got in over my head, because I'm too scared to touch
anything. Before I go fiddling with 50 year old electrical components, I
want to know if it works or not, what I can do to fix the fuse situation
(even if only temporarily), and if I should check for anything else.

So, can anyone help me? I'd REALLY like to get this guy working again, but I
need some help (obviously, hehe...)