Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Saw Stop would have prevented this

On 4/19/13 1:20 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
-MIKE- writes:
On 4/19/13 6:16 AM, Doug Miller wrote:
-MIKE- wrote in :

[...]
I can also point out that there are a thousand times more deaths by
automobile, but no one is banning them. There are hundreds of times more
deaths from baseball bats and hammers, but no one is trying to ban them.

This is untrue.

There are very nearly as many deaths due to firearms in the U.S. as due to automobiles
(roughly 31000 vs 34000, respectively, in 2011).

Over 60% of the firearm deaths are suicides, about 2% are accidents, around 25-30% are
murders, and roughly 5% each non-murder homicide (e.g. self-defense) and "undetermined
intent".

Ok, so if that's accurate then cars are just as dangerous as guns.
Why don't we have a national 35mph speed limit?
Why don't we restrict the top speed of cars?
Why don't we ban cars?

Why don't you need a license to operate a gun?

I might be in favor of that, except that driving isn't a right protected
by the constitution.

I believe people should treat their cars as the weapons they are and I
believe people should become as familiar with operating a firearm as
they are a car.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)