Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Macy[_2_] Robert Macy[_2_] is offline

Default Bromine in septic tank?

On Apr 17, 10:16*am, Frank wrote:
On 4/17/2013 12:39 PM, wrote:

On Wednesday, April 17, 2013 10:31:07 AM UTC-4, Robert Macy wrote:
After doing two bathrooms and barely smelling fumes; I had
a nose bleed.

What are you people eating that it takes so much work to keep your toilets clean?

My well water does it and it varies. *I've got a sediment filter but did
not think water is hard enough for a full treatment system.

Thread has been interesting to me.

The commercial cleaners with muriatic acid are about half the strength
of the concentrated acid which would be the cheapest thing to use.
Concentrated acid fumes are corrosive and quite penetrating so it would
probably be best to dilute acid for in house use.

No water treatment? Being slightly 'green' I opted out on any
softener, or processing of the water. I live in one of two houses
built by the same contractor using the same EXPENSIVE septic system -
comes out of New England and double processes the affluent so the
runout is cleaner than most river water. My neighbor has water
softener. In less than one year of use, he has VISIBLE white salt
stains all over the surface of his field, plus some kind of blackish
looking coloration. This is desert, but still plants don't seem to
grow much over his field. Over my field now after two years of use -
no coloration whatsoever. The only indication that our field is even
there is that the plants look a bit more lush, slightly taller and
lots of them.

So, I'm convinced no water softener was a great idea.

Plus, our hot water heater company [White?] told me that their systems
don't like softened water, they're designed differently and soft water
will shorten their tank/mechanism life. The tank seems ok, but we
have to replace the bottom heating element about every six months
average - no THAT's hard water.