Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
J.B.Slocomb J.B.Slocomb is offline

Default Battery drill connections

On Wed, 17 Apr 2013 17:06:05 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

J.B.Slocomb" wrote in message
.. .
The charger for my old battery drill has died and I'm trying to
resurrect it. There are three connections to the battery, two larger
connections labeled "+" and "-" and a third connect, smaller and
labeled "T". The plus and minus connections are easy enough but what
is the "T" connection.

As some of the components in the charger are unmarked I have been
thinking of just connecting a 12 volt charger to the battery
connections and am wondering about what to do about the "T"
connection.

--
Cheers,

John B.

Ages ago I worked at a tool store. We got Makita charges in all the time
that, "didn't work." I took one apart one day and found they had a fuse
hidden inside the case. If you plugged in a battery hot from continuous use
it would blow the fuse. I started "fixing" them in house for customers.
Certainly worth a look.

Interesting. I have the charger in pieces and (while I wasn't looking
for one) didn't see a fuse. All of the capacitors were leaking and one
resister (I think) was burned black to the extent that one end
connection was loose on the body of the resister. More to the point
there were two three legged gizzies with heat sinks, neither of which
had any markings, that may or may not be damaged.

I had about decided that a new drill might well be the best answer
until I priced a few.... they certainly have gone up in the last ten
years since I bought my no-name Chinese drill :-)

My final (at least for now) solution was to hook up a small 12 VDC
power supply and use it for a charger. I hooked up a DC amp meter to
monitor the charge rate and am getting about 1 amp into a nearly flat
battery and about a 90% charge after an all night charge, so for now
that is good enough.

--
Cheers,

John B.