Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Gorton 2-28 milling machine

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
news
I hang around industrial machine shops for a living..and in the 16 or
so years Ive been repairing machines..I think..think I remember seeing
one swung or tilted.

Production shops, or shops doing mostly flatwork probably never swing the
head, and would be better equipped with rigid-ram machines. Re-tramming
is always just a little bit of a pain, even with the right tools.

But I do a fairly large amount of one-off work with angles. It takes
less time to angle the head then re-tram than it takes to do a many of my
setups with angle plates and riser blocks.

Like I said -- only for a second-ops machine. I'm happy with my mill.

LLoyd