Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington David Billington is offline

Default Gorton 2-28 milling machine

On 17/04/13 14:24, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Wed, 17 Apr 2013 06:13:19 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

"Harold & Susan Vordos" fired this volley in
:

A Gorton is to a BP what a Chev is to a Rolls Royce. They are an
excellent machine. Do not be discouraged by comments that have little
merit.

Harold

I think you reversed that. Bridgeports certainly are NOT Rolls-Royce
caliber!

OTOH, as rigid as the Gortons have reputations for being, I'd want a
tilt-head machine for my 'second-ops' position. My mill is a rigid-ram
machine, and there are things it would be nice to be able to do without
all the fuss and bother of sine plates and complex fixturing.

Lloyd

My I-22 has never had the head swung. And I do a fair amount of
machining.

Shrug

I hang around industrial machine shops for a living..and in the 16 or
so years Ive been repairing machines..I think..think I remember seeing
one swung or tilted.

Ayup...I do remember (1).

Gunner

I like the ability to swing and tilt the head on my BP because over the
years I've had to do both many times when for instance an item would
foul the knee so the head was swung to allow the item to hang down
beside the knee. After the item was done the head would be put back
above the table as normal as that what is used most.