Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Macy[_2_] Robert Macy[_2_] is offline

Default Bromine in septic tank?

On Apr 16, 8:25*am, "Dave, I can't do that"
wrote:
Hi All,

The wife tried some chlorine based tablet things in the tank of the toilet and it kept the bowl nice and clean. The tablets were rated Septic Tank safe as the amount f Chlorine going in was quite small. But -- after about 3 months all the seals in the tank disintegrated. I replaced them all and now no more tablets. Momma has to use elbow grease.

Just heard about a bromine tablet system that feeds the treated water straight into the bowl water-flow and does not sit in the tank. Sounds good.

Question is, will small amounts of Bromine flushed to the Septic Tank (1000-gal) be an issue? We only flush the toilets every time with solids or other than that, about two or three times a day for accumulated pee *if* it starts to smell. Gotta stop eating Asparagus!

Thanks

did you read the other thread about experimenting to remove brown
stain?

From that I tried muriatic acid and voila! no elbow grease and shiney
newlike commodes!

Used to have to work and work everyday trying to maintain a poor level
of calcification. But now. one treatment lasts more than a month.

Forget the tablets. just muriatic acid at $5/gal from HD; reduce water
level to minimum poor in 1/4 cup or so, swish around, add baking sode
until fizzing stops, flush, and DONE! don't breath fumes. they sneak
up on you. After doing two bathrooms and barely smelling fumes; I had
a nose bleed. So run fan, open window, hold breath. But in exchange
for such precautions, no work.