Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Gorton 2-28 milling machine

On Tue, 16 Apr 2013 19:54:01 -0500, Ignoramus9908
wrote:

For a while, I have been looking for a perfect manual millnig machine
for our handy guy and for some simple jobs not requiring CNC.

I bought this Gorton 2-28 mill.

http://www.bidspotter.com/auctions/20712/photos/308.JPG

Not very proud of the price I paid, but it looked like a very good
machine. 2.5-5 HP motor (I guess dual speed), NMTB 40 taper spindle,
power feed on the X, Y axes and looks like on Z also.

Here's a catalog page that I found about it:

http://gorton-machine.org/forms/form_2321a/index.html

I want to keep it and not sell it.

Any comments, is that a good machine?

If it all works..you will absolutely love it.

Think of it as a Bridgeport on steroids

They are strong! and Stout!

And easy to put a DRO on. Z axis..not so easy...so Id suggest adding
one of the little Z axis stand along DRO rails you can buy on Ebay for
$30.

They have both a powered downfeed AND a crank downfeed, plus the
standard drill press style downfeed lever

The next version..the 2-30 was converted to NC. Same machine..just
upgraded with "CNC" controls

http://gorton-machine.org/machines/index.html

Gunner