hewhowalksamongus hewhowalksamongus is offline
Junior Member

Default Hayter Lawn mower Brake Blade Clutch repair

Hi all,

My first post, I chose this forum because it's the only place that came close to answering my question. It's a good news story which I hope in years to come other may find the solution in google.

I recently inherited a Hayter Harrier 41 BBC (Brake Blade Clutch) it is 10 years old and my mum bought it for the simple reason it didn't have the normal V. Annoying safety features. Instead it has a BBC which allows the engine to turn while the blade is braked.

The mower runs smoothly, but I noticed the blade was not cutting very well if at all. I pulled this apart and noticed the blade gave it a sharpen but still no joy.

I noticed when taking apart the central clutch bolt that the engine would spin and holding the blade would not stop the engine spinning. The same happened with the clutch engaged. (unplug spark plug before spinning engine). Sure enough a common symptom for a worn clutch.

My real annoyance is that all recommendations by the manufacturers are to replace the BBC. the BBC is a warner electric part Hayter 319010 or Warner 5915-15
But this unit cost approx £200 for a lawn mower costing £500 (750 in modern money). As a service item which is designed to wear down how do manufacturers get away with it? I have heard of trade mowers having to replace a clutch almost every year. Including a pro to fix it would cost me half the price of the mower new.

I have just received my new part, and I am about to send it back. I have discovered a company (Saftek | Industrial Friction Products I am sure there are more out there) who can re-bond a new friction plate onto the existing back plate. this will cost sub £20.

It's such a simple piece of tough cast iron engineering, but the price is extortionate and seems deliberately given a weak point to make money.

I have to admit I have not yet received the new plate yet and not tried out the mower so I hope it works.

According to the chap on the phone this is very common repair service they are asked to do. It seems to be a trade secret technique which google could not help me find. So if anyone has an old mower like Honda, john deer, mountfield or hayter they all have similar clutches from warner and definitely worth trying to repair rather than replace the clutch.

While I am in the complaining mood, how is it that amazon can charge £176 and parts web site charge £220 and Hayter official repair service centres charge about £230. They say the amazon retailer cannot be hayter (but amazon offer a better return policy and sell genuine parts) Why is there such a difference?

I hope this maybe useful to someone.