Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg Guarino[_2_] Greg Guarino[_2_] is offline

Default For you math wizards

On 4/15/2013 8:26 PM, Leon wrote:
On 4/15/2013 12:47 AM, Richard wrote:
On 4/15/2013 12:20 PM, Leon wrote:
On 4/15/2013 11:10 AM, Gramp's shop wrote:
Hah! Now all I need to do is figure out how to draw an arc with an 18
foot radius :-) I have a couple of ideas and will post pix of the
process.

On Monday, April 15, 2013 10:14:29 AM UTC-5, Gramp's shop wrote:
I need to draw an arc for a piece of trim. The end points of the arc
are 5 feet apart and the depth of the arc at the center point is 2
inches. What is the radius of the circle?

There ought to be an equation for this that would be far superior to
trial and error, oui?

Larry

!8' string with a pencil died around one end. Nail in the ground on the
other end.

Or use sketchup to print out a template.

An 18 foot radius template?

Did he say wanted the full circle or the 5' arc?

He really needs to make about 20 of them. To save time, he will array
the stock in a regular twenty-sided polygon, presumably on the
basketball court of the local high school. This will allow him to mark
all of the pieces in one step with a string and pencil, or if the
ceiling height is sufficient, a compass.